Tuesday, August 11, 2009

First Blog- Writing Experience and Goals

To tell you the truth at the beginning of freshmen year I really wasn't that good at writing. My essays never had that kind of depth that the other students had, and it just wasn't very detailed. But towards the second semester of last year I began to get better at writing, my scores have been increasing to three's than two's. The comments also have been getting better, saying that my voice comes through my writing. I guess having to do those essays were a building ground for me, because the more I did them the more I got better at it and the more I understood about how I could improve on my next essay. I really enjoyed writing personal stories about my life, those really gave me the chance to show people who I am through my words. Writing essays that are not about yourself and about other things for example the KC3 essays. Writing essays like that bring out the best in me, i get deep into a situation that's affecting the world and I express myself through what is being written.

My writing goals for this year is to be able to get all of my thoughts and ideas organized so when I write them and put them all together, it will flow and make sense. I also want to expand my vocabulary, and to find words that have more depth and that will make my writing piece better. I know that I still need to work on the six traits.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Desha,

    Great job on your first blog. You described your experience and your learning very well. And I agree that your writing showed consistent improvement through the year. I think you got less stressed about impromptu exams, too 

    I was also happy to see that you are motivated by writing that responds to real world issues, such as the KC3 project. I think that “real world” element helps to strengthen writing and it also shows you how your writing can affect your world 

    Now, the pre-assessment: You express a definite opinion about iPod use in school, and you support it with reasons from the article. I think, however, that you could have taken more from the articles. Did you notice that by the third paragraph, you are starting to repeat yourself in your arguments? The articles, however, discussed more than iPods. They were looking at all of technology and its role in the classroom. Addressing those issues would have helped to strengthen your argument. We’ll work more on this stuff during the year 

    Lastly a comment on grammar: Pay close attention when we go over pronoun/antecedent agreement. For example, in the first paragraph: “that student and its peers” You wouldn’t use the pronoun “it” to refer to a student. In the last paragraph “students can use them (iPods) at a time when they (students)…the pronouns get a bit confusing.

    mrs s

    ReplyDelete