Saturday, September 19, 2009

College Application Essay

(THIS IS JUST MY DRAFT, IT WILL GET BETTER :D )

University of Washington-
Discuss how your family’s experience or cultural history enriched you or presented you with opportunities or challenges in pursuing your educational goals.


It has always been my dream to live up to my families expectations. Many of my relatives have failed to live up to the expectations of going to college and having a great career. I will be that one person in my family that will do the opposite and go off to college and prove everyone wrong. My dream is to go off to Washington University and attend there nursing program and be successful.

To become a nurse was what the women in my family wanted to be, but many things stopped them from pursing that dream. My own mother and aunt became mothers at a very young age in high school. I’m not saying that it was a bad thing for them to have a baby, but it just wasn’t the right time to have one. Being only 16 and in two years they would graduate and go off to college would change because of a baby. They had much more responsibilities and they weren’t able to do the things that they enjoyed anymore, most importantly they weren’t going to college. This has disappointed my grandparents so much, they thought very highly about their daughters and then this happens.

My grandparents now look at me as if it’s my duty to make up for what my mother and aunty didn’t get to do. I get “the talk” once in a while when I’m not doing too well in school. I get this really long lecture about going to school, getting good grades so I can go to college and no boyfriends till I finish college. I always tell them “yeah grandma, don’t worry I’m not going to do fine” Hearing the stories and the sound of disappointment in my grandparents voice and the sound of regret in my mothers voice really got to me. I don’t want to be a disappointment to anyone, but mostly myself. Coming from a Filipino family really makes it even tough; they all want their kids to become successful and to go to college.

At first I felt as if it was my duty to live that dream for my family since my mother couldn’t do it for them, but now I’m not doing it because they didn’t get to do it, but I am doing it for myself. I’m going straight to college right after I graduate high school. I want to become a pediatric nurse, so I can be able to help kids and keep them healthy. Being a nurse will make happy because socializing and helping people makes me feel good about myself. Being involved in clubs and extra curricular activities at school like HOSA will keep me focused on my career and school. My family’s faults made me have a stronger mind at things, and it really made me think of the opportunity that I still have to do things differently. I will make my family proud by graduating high school, and then go off to college to become a nurse; I will not do anything that will interfere with my education.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Desha, I'm glad that you've got a good head on your shoulders. And I have faith in you that you will be successful and make your family proud. I can tell by your essay that you're determined to prove everyone wrong, and show them that you wont be another disappointment. Good job :)

    - Daryenne'Noel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Essay Draft Desha. I really liked the topic you wrote your essay on. I like how you explained how you try to make up for your mom and aunty's past experiences and use that to make a better future for yourself to make your family proud. SInce I know you so well, just by reading your essay I could tell it was you, your essay had a lot of voice. You have minor grammar errors and I feel that you could of done a little more with the show not tell but overall I enjoyed reading your essay. :)


    Raena Cabacungan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Desha,
    I agree with Raena and Daryenne that this was a strong statement about your determination to do well in high school and head off to college to pursue nursing.
    You did a nice job of sharing your mom's and auntie's stories and how that has affected your grandparents. And the transition from trying to fulfill their expectations to trying to fulfill your own expectations was a strong one.
    For your revision, work to add in specific detail, for example dialogue with your grandparents or your mom.
    Nice job! Let me know if you have questions.
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete